I have a hate-love relationship toward crab - I love it's tender and juicy meat but at the same time I extremely hate to spend so much time just to crack it open. But If you are a person into crabs a lot, then you ought to try this Malaysian (and Singaporean too) most favorite Curry Crab recipe. Get your fishmonger to prepare the crabs, discard the hard shell and reserve the tomalley. While this dish is traditionally prepared with green mud crab in Malaysia, we used a 5kg Dungeness crab. If you can’t find green mud crab or Dungeness crab in your area, you can always use another crab like the stone crab or blue crab. The coconut milk give quite a riches to this dish but it blends so well with the crabs and rest of the ingredients in Khimyan Curry's Paste for Seafood Curry such as curry leaves, curry powder, garlic, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, green chilies, and chili powder. The result? A curry crab full of flavor bomb that loved by a lot of foodie.
This Malaysian Creamy Curry Crab Recipe serves 4
- 5kg dungeness crab
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 500ml coconut milk
- 60 ml water
- 1 packet Khimyan Curry's Paste for Seafood Curry
- Clean the crab and chop it into pieces. Save the green and juicy stuff inside the shell and set aside.
- In a wok, heat the oil on high heat. Pan-Fry the (2 sprigs) curry leaves until crispy. Set aside for garnish.
- In the same wok, add cooking oil and heat up. Pour 1 packet of Khimyan Curry's Paste for Seafood Curry and pan-fry until fragrant.
- Add the crab, 60ml water and 500ml of coconut milk. Turn the heat on high and bring the sauce to a boil. Then lower the heat to medium and continue to pan-fry the crab for about 10 minutes.
- Add the green and juicy stuff from the shell and continue stirring for about 2 minutes or until all crab pieces turned red.
- Continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until the sauce has thicken. Garnish the crab with fried curry leaves.
Serve hot and enjoy it with rice or bread.
What our customers say about this
"I've tried the fish curry, and it also easy to cook, I always thought that cook a bowl of curry need a lot of ingredients and works but now I'm wrong as with this convenient packet, I can cook whenever I wasn't as long as I get a fresh fish from supermarket and few more ingredient, then I can make my own curry to eat. The taste suitable for me which my mom also said my cooking skill is improved :). You may try it sometimes and amazed your friends and family.
Pss: Who say guys can't cook good food at home? Try yourself."
- Yap Chong, Kuala Lumpur
"It is very very good. i can honestly say that it tastes authentic like you can find in a good hawker or restaurant in Penang. It has been difficult to even get good tasting food in Penang nowaday, yours just perfect to at least come as an option. keep it up."
- Lim Yuh Hock, Kuala Lumpur
Do you like this recipe?